So the other day I tried this cake for my husband to take to work. My daughter had watched me make it and REALLY wanted a piece but it had to sit overnight in the fridge. So I told her that “Daddy” would bring her home a piece after work the next day. In the morning I told my husband to make sure there was a piece left when he came home….well, he came home and he apologized that it was all gone – he said everyone REALLY liked it – it was delicious. I waited – and didn’t have to wait to long – for our 4-year-old to come running in. The first thing she asked was, did you save me a piece of cake? Ugh…we had to tell her that everyone ate it and it was all gone. That was hard news! Life is so hard for a kid! To ease her sadness I told her I would make another one because Grandma and Grandpa were coming over for dinner the next night.
The nice thing about this cake is I already had everything because all the ingredients I had to buy I only used half of, except for another 16 oz. cool whip – no big deal. So, needless to say, this cake was such a hit, I made it two times this week. And it sure got a big WOW effect from my in-laws the second time around as well. Hope you enjoy it! (I originally found it on the Something Swanky blog).
- 1 9×13 chocolate cake
- 1/2 bottle of Chocolate Syrup (pictured)
- 1 16 oz. tub of cool whip (+2 Tablespoons cocoa powder for chocolate flavor and 1/4 c cup powdered sugar)
- 1/4 cup Oreos, crumbled
- Magic shell for drizzling
- While the chocolate cake is still warm, poke 24-30 holes in it using the base of a wooden or plastic spoon.
- Pour the chocolate syrup into each hole generously.
- Chill until cooled.
- Spread cool whip over the cake. If you would like it to be chocolatey, I added about 2 Tablespoons of cocoa powder and about 1/4 cup powder sugar and mixed it together.
- Sprinkle the toppings over the whip cream. I used crushed Oreos but you could also use candy bars, pretzels, chocolate chunks, etc.
- Drizzle with the magic shell (amount depending on your preference).
- Keep chilled until ready to serve.
- Serves 12-15