Ok, I’m not a fan of the long explanations and stories before a recipe because I’m so excited to make the recipe I’m looking up, I just want to get to the important part of the post! Ha ha! So, here is the latest “Pinterest Recipe” success!
I made this for a family dinner this last Sunday and added a dollop of Cool Whip on top of each slice that was served – HUGE HIT! My Mother-In-Law said it tasted like the best coconut doughnut she’d ever had.
I love the Chef In Training blog – the ladies are definitely qualified to be chef’s in my mind. They have fabulous recipes.
So, here is the recipe from their blog!
- In a large mixing bowl, measure flour and sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine butter, water, and shortening. Bring to a boil. After mixture reaches a boil, add it to the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Add buttermilk, then baking soda, then eggs, then vanilla in that order, mixing in-between each addition. Stir in coconut.
- Pour into a greased 18x13x1 inch cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Bring combine butter and milk bring to a boil, stir in powdered sugar and coconut extract until smooth.
- After cake has cooked, remove from oven and poke holes in hot cake with a fork. Pour frosting evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle top of cake with shredded coconut.
SERVING – Serve warm or cool with a dollop of Cool Whip on top.